market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting Fennel

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Transplanting Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:14:22 -0500

I've transplanted spring fennel the past half dozen years with good results everytime.  I do remember reading on the seed pack that it wasn't advised.

This spring I planted out mistreated transplants 3 weeks later than usual and they still turned out really great with no early bolting and nice bulbs.  I've been growing the Orion f1 from JSS.

sean Stillwater MN

I've read it was EXTREMELY temperamental in terms of disturbing the roots.  Our direct sown crop did well this spring/early summer but its been so blasted hot up here I was not even going to try to direct seed.

So I am trying trying transplanting fennel.  SO far so good.  Its on week two with constant watering to keep things cool and its in a shade spot that keeps it cool for the later half of the day.

ANy experience to compare?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio