market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

That substance is clopyralid, and it is still in use as a broadleaf herbicide for hay and small grains crops, particularly in this part of the world.  Here's a fact sheet on it from WSU:

Hope this isn't the problem.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 7/30/2010 2:36:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, organic87 AT frontiernet.net writes:

On Jul 30, 2010, at 2:27 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

> It's not virus. That has been ruled out. This is not the stunting or
> twisting you get with virus. The plants come up. They sit there and
> don't grow. Then, the leave start turning a pale yellow and the
> plant dies. We water. We fertilize. We do all the things we have
> always done when growing squash, and nothing.
> The first time this happened we had just gotten some of the flooding
> rains and we had a lot of run off from the neighbors wheat field. I
> just assumed that whatever herbicide he used washed down on us and
> wasn't to the squashes liking. No big deal, I just replanted. But,
> it keeps happening. And, I've replanted far enough away from that
> original spot that the neighbors herbicide couldn't possibly be a
> factor.
> I am growing enough different kinds of squash so I don't think it's
> a seed related issue. And, some of my seed is leftover from last
> year, and it did fine then.

Carla, are you by any chance using straw mulch? and if so, is anything
else in the same straw, and is it showing any symptoms?

There is an herbicide sometimes used in grains that remains present in
the straw and is very long lasting -- I can't think of the name of it
right now. I don't know whether they pulled it off the market or not.

The only other thing I can think of, is it possible you've got a huge
excess of some nutrient?