market-farming - [Market-farming] (not so) perpetual chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chris O'Brien" <chris AT bigleaffarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] (not so) perpetual chard
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:08:25 -0700

Hi Folks

I've grown perpetual chard (from Fedco) for the first time this year, and have really been enjoying it.  Our members seem to feel the same way about it.

We've had a very late cold and rainy spring here in the Pacific NW, and the perpetual chard bolted, while the 3 or 4 other varieties of chard that we grow have been fine.  From this, I take it that perpetual chard isn't perpetual with regards to other chards, but compared to spinach which it tastes similar to. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, does anyone have any experience in growing this variety over the winter?

thanks,
chris

--
Chris O'Brien

  • [Market-farming] (not so) perpetual chard, Chris O'Brien, 06/28/2010