market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CNG

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CNG
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 21:53:12 -0400

I agree on the taste but there are other issues. Composting procedures, especially with animal manures for one. A person could cheat with CNG also but many aspects of a persons operation are reviewed during an inspection. Proximity to a neighboring conventional operation using spray fertilizer or pesticides. Testing of soils and water source. Does the farm look like an old junk yard with broken down machinery all over the place leaking fluids. There are a whole lot of things to consider that make a farm operation clean and sustainable.
I will admit that some folks have trouble with CNG because it has no enforcement mechanism to insure compliance. That is where I do take stock in what Garth and Kim posted. Most people can taste the difference.
Todd