market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Summer Lettuce Production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Summer Lettuce Production
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:40:52 -0500

On Apr 29, 2010, at 8:09 PM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:

> Thank you! You answered my questions! I've been wondering how to secure our
> shade cloth and I will give the ties a try. We had thought about using
> binder clips, but I was afraid they would tear up the cloth.

We tried binder clips in one iteration. They have a nasty habit of flying off
and smacking you unexpectedly.

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:23 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

> The downside of this technique is that not all varieties of red
> lettuce will get good color under that complete shade, though it's 30%
> shadecloth; some of them will, however (Outredgeous and Hyper Red
> Rumple Waved come to mind).

Yes, that's why we only cover part with shade, we were concerned about the
reds coloring up. However, good to know that the deer haven't figured out
shade cloth yet; that will be handy this Fall. Thanks.

Kim
zone 7/8 Texas, inexplicably craving a salad now & wondering why I did't
plant Hakurei turnips this Spring