market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cabbage root maggot

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT valley.net (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cabbage root maggot
  • Date: 31 Jul 2009 15:23:31 -0400

--- You wrote:
Any thoughts, success in control of Cabbage Root Maggot?
MAsteveINE
--- end of quote ---

As a preventative, I use wood ash around the plant's base; supposedly the
alkalinity kills the egg or emerging maggot. Heat does the same so by summer,
root maggots are no longer a problem (of course until this week, northern New
England hasn't really had much heat, even for our summers). Once the plant
shows signs of infestation, however, the wood ash doesn't help.

Fred
Vermont

  • Re: [Market-farming] cabbage root maggot, Frederick Crowley, 07/31/2009