market-farming - [Market-farming] shock from the ground wire

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] shock from the ground wire
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:05:24 -0400

I am trying to set up an electric fence to keep deer out. The ground wire is
hot, and I can't figure out why.

I have a Stafix battery-powered charger I have used successfully in the past
with net fencing. I have a battery correctly connected to the charger, and
the charger terminals correctly connected to the hot wire and ground wire.
Those wires are not touching. The ground wire is connected to a copper rod
sunk in the ground. It rained last night (and for the past two weeks), so the
soil is wet.

Despite all this, I am getting a shock from the ground wire. The volt meter
shows about 4000 volts when I connect the hot wire and ground wire, and about
900 volts when I connect the ground wire and earth ground. I am getting no
voltage when I connect the allegedly hot fence wire and the earth.

Other than a damaged charger, is there anything that could be causing this?

Also, I have an old Sears 110V plug-in charger, but need fuse holders for the
two 1A fuses. Any suggestions for where to find them?

thanks!

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/