market-farming - [Market-farming] "new" vehicle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Beth Spaugh <lists AT rhomestead.com>, 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, csa-l AT lists.localharvest.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "new" vehicle
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:41:32 -0800 (PST)

Beth wrote:

"We have had a Subaru Legacy and a pickup truck. Early and late I could take
the Subaru to markets, then switch to the truck during the high season. The
Subaru is falling apart (1997). I hate to go in the wrong direction on mpg,
but am looking at used Honda CRV, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander Hybrid
as options to replace the Subaru. Their aren’t many small wagons with service
around here. I would love a Prius, but it just doesn’t quite have enough
space, and within the next year or so they are supposed to come out with a
plug in and a minivan, so will probably wait on those options for the next
vehicle."
Beth, I have a used Suburu Forester and I bought it with 43k miles and 3
years old. You can't beat the Suburu's for your climate - think about the
winter weather, your safety, ground level accessibility to the veges. These
Suburus are good for 200 to 300k miles. Not much trouble with mine & 26mpg
and strong. Like your approach to step up to the truck when things get big.
If you had a 6 cyl Suburu - then why not consider a small tag along trailer
to deliver your veges. Unless you are tall, the SUVs or a fullsize pickup are
going to work you out climbing in and out carrying baskets. Consider also a
small pickup like a 6cyl Dodge Dakota with an extended cab and long bed for
deliveries.
You can buy a 3 year old Suburu or a used Dakota for about 1/2 to a 1/3 of
the price of the models you listed. Consider something reliable, lower to the
ground, low maintenance. Put some premium tires on the vehicle then drive it.

My practical advice.

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms E&W SC

  • [Market-farming] "new" vehicle, michelle rome, 02/25/2009