market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dome covers (was Heating Mats)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: aughinbaugh <jaughinbaugh AT centurytel.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dome covers (was Heating Mats)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:49:06 -0500

On Jan 27, 2009, at 1:03 PM, aughinbaugh wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Hi, I usually just lurk but am most intrigued and so have a question (from NW Missouri). . .what sort of 'dome' are you referring to covering the onions with?  I'm wondering if this is glass,  something transluscent but suppose more then simply row cover.
</x-tad-smaller>

As I don't think anybody else has answered that I'll pitch in: I expect what's being referred to here is clear plastic covers (usually a couple of inches or so tall) sized to fit over standard seed flats. They keep moisture in, allow light through, and also allow flats to be stacked if the lower ones don't need light at that point; most of them aren't strong enough to allow stacking more than two or three high. Most sources of seed starting equipment carry them.

If you're using these, don't put the flats in full sun, especially if they're on heat mats; they may overheat. Usually I take them off as soon as the seedlings come up. Sure saves a lot of time misting to keep soil surfaces from drying out (though you still need to keep an eye on them, as the domes aren't entirely airtight things will still dry out; but much more slowly.)