market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Am I crazy? re: tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Am I crazy? re: tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:46:51 -0500

From 5 foot wide concrete re-wire, cut the center wire, leaving 2 pieces 2
feet wide with 6 inch spikes, cut these to make 2 foot circles (14 wires I think) bend these pieces into a circle and secure with the wire ends. The result should be a 2 foot diameter, 2 foot high cage with 6 inch spikes to stick in the ground, which is strong enough to serve the purpose.

Set these in your hoop house and plant a Jetstar or Celebrity in the center of each. No need to put them out just 'cause they are determinate.

One of the better tomatoes for green/hoophouse is Vendor, an openpollinated greenhouse variety from Stokes, best eating in our 30 years of tasting here. It dissapeared from their catalog last year but you might check to see if they still have some. If not yell at me and I will share a few of what I have left.

Early Girl and Betterboy have both done well when tried in my greenhouse.

MAsteveINE

MAsteveINE
I got a letter from a lightning rod company this morning trying to put
the fear of God in me, but with little success. Lightning seems to
have lost its menace. Compared to what is going on on earth today,
heaven's firebrands are penny fireworks with wet fuses.
E. B. White 1938

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>