market-farming - [Market-farming] Am I crazy? re: tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Am I crazy? re: tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:18:26 -0500

I am considering growing all my indeterminates in the hoophouse and only determinates outside. I have never gotten the outside tomatoes well trellised, but can do “Florida weave”. This means though, not growing Big Beef or Jetstar. I was planning on trying Lola from High Mowing since they say it actually tastes good (I haven’t tasted a greenhouse variety yet that I thought was good. I realize the greenhouse varieties yield more. I realize Big Beef and Jetstar produce more than the heirlooms. I also know most of our conventional veg growers around here grow determinates.

So, I am looking at Mountain Fresh and Polbig as my first, along with Orange Blossom (which I really liked last year). Then Celebrity as my later season and larger, maybe along with a second planting of MF or Polbig. I also have seeds of Marglobe Supreme and Oregon Spring to throw into the mix.

I tell my folks I select varieties for flavor, and when I look at the determinates in the catalogs I see a lot about how hard they are (as if that was good), but not anything about flavor. I am ordering from High Mowing, Johnnys, Fedco, and since I want Cream of the Crop squash which is hard to find, E&R.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead

Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe