market-farming - [Market-farming] LB White Heater

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] LB White Heater
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:15:24 EST

They worked good for us for a good many years until it finally got to the point I clouldn't buy parts for it anymore.  It was a lot cheaper to operate than the Modine I replaced it with.  We only heat buildings to start plants in early March, it just doesn't pay for use to try to grow in the cold Iowa winters.  We need a break from the growing in the winters to all the livestock work caught up.  We raise and sell fresh lamb in the summer markets and with 12 acres of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and hand woven products.  Also we have 20 acres of hay, 40 acres of corm,  20 acres of oats, and some years I plant soybeans,and the balance of our farm is pasture.  Like you I don't raise any hogs but we use to have quite a few sows and did intensive farrowing, every three weeks we farrowed 40 sows.  Took a lot of winter energy to keep those farrowing houses warm, I don't miss it at all.

We use three hoophouses here mostly for early lettuce and extention of room for our greenhouse which gets overwhelled very quickly when we get going on our early plantings.  We hire O labor, if we can't find the time to get it done it just doesn't get done.  We tried using outside labor and it just never really ever worked out.  I'M not going to pay someone to sit in the field  and flip their hair or get lost in the Corn field for a half a day.

If I could find good LB white heaters in My area I would probably be using them today but new one's are very high, and I can find Modine Heaters  for around $200 so that works for me.

Phil from Iowa