market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:30:30 -0500

Barbara

I use leaves.  I have plenty of baled hay but it introduces weed seeds so I avoid it, plus we still have a wonky hay market right now around here and its at premium price still.  I have a lawn care service that mows for me in return for permission to dump.  When they dump leaves I simply go down and use a brush attachment on my Bobcat and load the leaves onto my dump bed.  This year I am only growing about 700 heads of garlic.  The stiff neck and early varieties have already broken the ground and have shoots up (we planted the first full week in November).

The leaves seem to do well, especially if they are mulched up a bit into smaller pieces.  This is my second year using the leaves and I am quite happy with them.  The one problem with whole leaves is keeping them in place during high winds.

The leaves I use are a mix of Oak, Maple, and Tulip.

Straw this year is running around 5.00 a bale.  Good hay is a bit more.  We bale right around 6K bales each year and use them solely for our boarding operation.

Hope that helps.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio