market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:21:43 -0500

On Nov 24, 2008, at 8:59 AM, Richard Robinson wrote:

[ . . . ] mulching garlic [. . . ] I got them on just in time, it turns out--the past week has been below freezing around the clock.

It's my experience that you can also mulch after freeze up; it's not the freeze that does the damage, it's multiple cycles of repeated freezing and thawing. The ground will freeze under the mulch anyway, at least around here, though it won't get quite as cold as it would without it.

If the weather turns really wet right after planting, which does happen here some years, it may be preferable to wait till it freezes, rather than compacting the soil by trying to work in the mud.