market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying Walnuts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying Walnuts
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:07:54 -0400

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:29:48 -0700, you wrote:

><DIV style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif; font-size:10pt;"><DIV>A few weeks
>ago someone was looking for walnuts in bulk. I remembered that there is an
>annual black walnut sale in the Lancaster PA area every year about this
>time... I saw the add in the newspaper this week. There are 9 buying/hulling
>stations in the counry area and they were paying the remarkably low price of
>$10 per 100 pounds of hulled nuts. If you are interested in buying walnuts
>call 1-717-5323169...</DIV>
><DIV>Sunny Meadow Farm</DIV>
><DIV>Bridgeton, NJ.</DIV><BR>&nbsp;<BR><HR>Netscape.&nbsp; Just the Net You
>Need.</DIV>

I did, and someone else. But I wanted English walnuts.

Thanks anyway.

I love black walnuts in baked goods, but both my husband and I are trying
to avoid cookies and cakes and so on. Unfortunately.

My daughter is coming out to visit soon, and she's a member of Sam's Club.
I dislike Wal-Mart and Sam's Club intensely, but I will probably wind up
having her buy walnuts and pecans at her Sam's Club - because of price.

Price is not the only factor for deciding where to buy something, of
course, but it must always be a *very major* factor for my husband and me.
We just have no choice at all about that.

Especially with what has happened to the cost of food and energy over the
last year. Our electric rates rose by 40% last year alone; natural gas
rates have also risen - and we all know what's happening to the price of
food.

So unless I find a really good deal on unshelled nuts on Ebay (which I
haven't yet), I think we'll wind up with nuts from Sam's Club.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html