market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 68, Issue 18

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 68, Issue 18
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:27:33 +0000

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:00:33 GMT
From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Test
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

We have 3 ponds on our land, plus the guy who owns the rest of the section
has numerous ponds, all full. We've always said we have lazy rabbits. We go
to the pond when they can chew up the drip? These aren't small punctures
either. A section about 2 inches long will simply be gone, just the shredded
bits remaining. We don't mow around the edges of the field, with the idea
that this "wildness" would attract beneficial insects, provide cover for
birds, etc... but at the same time it provides plenty of hiding for rabbits
and all the other little critters I'd just as soon not have around. How on
earth do we strike a balance?
I'm off to fix a million leaks again this morning. A "cold" front has come in
and it will be a pleasant 70 something day today!
Carla
Perkins, OK

We have problems with chipmunks doing the same thing to our water lines. What
we've done is cover them where possible and where they must run on top of the
ground, we've covered them with tin sheets. Not too attractive, i know, but
sure beats fixing leaks all the time. we went to a round tank to keep the
bear from biting the corners. and these critters do not do this for lack of
water - there is always an overflow left specifically for them, plus other
springs on the mountain besides this one. i guess you could run your pvc
lines through metal conduit where exposed, too.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)