market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Wood Chipper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vinton Lawrence <vlawrence AT nets.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Wood Chipper
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:39:38 -0600

Mark,
Take a look at Vermeer chippers.
They used to make pto driven chippers, but I think they now only make self-powered units.
They have a model 1000 which can handle up to 12'' diameter logs which is driven by an 85 hp Perkins diesel.
I have owned and used their 6" diameter series chippers in both pto and self-driven models. The advantage of the self-powered models is that they have a "smart feed" controller which adjusts the feed rate to engine speed, which means that you can start to feed a tree trunk into the unit and it will stop and start the feed, so you can go and get the next piece to feed in and not worry about the chipper bogging down. This saves a significant amount of time as the operator does not need to stand by the machine until the unit has finished chipping each piece. Production rate is high and the chippers are well made, easy to service, and can be left as "stand alone units", meaning that you can use your tractor to go and retrieve more material to chip. Really good operator safety features as well.
The other "productivity" tip for any unit is to keep your feedstock clean (don't drag that tree through mud and gravel before you put it through the chipper as this can dull the knives and knife block quickly) and keep your knives sharp and change them out often. Most chippers will work OK with semi sharp/dull knives (just like a dull chisel) , they will work extraordinarily well with really "sharp" knives (try using a really sharp chisel sometime, you won't need a mallet to make it cut), productivity increases exponentially and the chip quality improves (i.e.- not smashed bits of wood, but sliced chips).
No, I'm not a Vermeer salesman/dealer, I've just used their equipment for 10-15 years and really appreciate it.
Vint Lawrence

Sharon and Steve wrote:
I'd prefer a pto driven one with a 3 point hookup, but am not limiting my options.

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)

http://www.morbark.com/Equipment/SpecSheets/4036%20whole%20tree%20chipper.pdf

BeeFarmer, a 3 point chipper that would handle 10 inch wood would be on 150+ hp and very rare indeed, and to do any reasonable production in wood like that would need something in the 5 -700 HP area. If you can buy that bad dude for 250K you will need twice that for suport/supply equipment.

Plenty of guys here who would like to set you up in the wood business, let me know if I should have them call!

MAsteveINE