market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Buying Walnuts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Buying Walnuts
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:56:14 -0400

Growing up in Missouri in the late 50s/60s, we'd get 2 or 3 cents a pound, and use that to buy our Christmas presents. I think they'd maybe reached 5 cents by the time I left home. Trucks and wagons would be lined up around the block on Saturday morning waiting for the huller to hull the nuts. Our hands would be black for weeks, and we 5 brothers and our cousins had many a walnut fight when things got boring. There'd be a 30' mound of hulls by the end of November in a good year. Good times :) Hammons Nut Company from Stockton, MO was, and still is as best I know, the only buyer of bulk black walnuts in the country. 12 cents a pound seems cheap now, accounting for inflation.

Bill Huhman
central Ohio
http://picasaweb.google.com/billohio