market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manure spreaders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manure spreaders
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:23:32 -0400

I concur that PTO is the way to go--it would give you many more options about
spreading rate. I've used an old John Deere ground-driven spreader on hay
fields, but haven't used it on vegetables, and would not consider it for
anything but very long rows, since it takes perhaps 20-30 feet for the humped
pile of manure to reach the spreading tines sufficiently to get full effect.
As for narrow versus wide spread, you might be able to rig up some plywood
blinders to prevent lateral spread off the back. Elliot Coleman does this
with his PTO spreader to turn compost in place.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/