market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem (Richard Robinson)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem (Richard Robinson)
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Every year I have a few raspberry plants whose berries get hard and
> desiccated rather than plump and juicy. It's isolated to a few plants
> surrounded by healthy ones, making me think it's a root-derived problem
> (these are fall-bearing on primocanes). I thought I had a description and
> picture in my diseases book, but I couldn't find it today. But I wouldn't
> say mine look like immature berries, more like mummies of a real
> raspberry.
>
> --
> Richard Robinson
> http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
>
> This sounds familiar...20 years ago I had a large raspberry patch that
began to have small areas with this problem...within a few years it had
spread to the whole stand...I talked to our county extension agent at
the time who told me it was a soil based disease he called "Monkey face
disease" that shriveled the berries. It came in with some plants from a
neighbor.
He told me the berries had to be pulled and burned and no small or large
fruit could be planted in the same spot for 7 years. Needless to say, I
was crushed, it eventually wiped out several fruit trees and a strawberry
patch. I gave up on the area and started another garden in another area
on the property. And raspberries are now one of my biggest cash crops.
Any one know about this disease?
Sora...rolling drip tape in the rain....

  • Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Problem (Richard Robinson), sora, 05/29/2008