market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Livestock pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Livestock pumpkins
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:13:46 -0800

Howdens are big but tonnage is low because they take up too much space per
plant
Try a bush type like Baby Pam Hybrid. I plant them 3 ft apart on 6ft rows.
You will get a lot more fruit per acre as long as pollination is good. Another
option is butternut squash. They store much better than pumpkins... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Anyone have suggestions of pumpkins for poultry feed, warm zone 4 cool zone
5? Will be planting some sugar beets, lots of clover, excess turnip seed,
etc for chickens, ducks, geese. Looking to reduce winter feed bill. Pumpkin
growers around here grow Howden a lot, if that gives some season comparison.
Would like lots of tonnage but the individual pumpkins don't need to be
large. Thanks.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe