market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Livestock pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <APPPAplus AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Livestock pumpkins
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:37:10 -0500

Sure, I sez, Peru, right by Syracuse, no problem; them I checked, and found that if you trip you land in Canada! Arn't you glad they invented Zip codes?

But the guys across the lake in VT are doing corn so you are most likely safe with pumpkins and or squash maturing, especially if you stay with the shorter day varieties.

Next comes storage, which is what we are looking at here, and it seems that we should try stacking good fruits in the barn and covering with sawdust and hay to keep them from freezing. Or once frozen, keeping them that way. We can keep potatoes underground with no heat, but the cost to construct for feed would be limiting unless there was also a cash crop to help things along.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

MAsteveINE

Anyone have suggestions of pumpkins for poultry feed, warm zone 4 cool zone
5? Will be planting some sugar beets, lots of clover, excess turnip seed,
etc for chickens, ducks, geese. Looking to reduce winter feed bill. Pumpkin
growers around here grow Howden a lot, if that gives some season comparison.
Would like lots of tonnage but the individual pumpkins don't need to be
large. Thanks.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY