market-farming - [Market-farming] Bringing ground back into production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bringing ground back into production
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 23:52:45 -0500

I will probably be adding a field this year which has been out of production for almost 20 years. It has been mowed, but was in CRP for 15 years and after leaving CRP just sat for a few more years. Lots of wildlife - deer, turkeys, raccoons, woodchucks and almost anything else with lives in NY has moved in and gotten used to living here. I will probably grow some sweet corn and winter squash here this season and am wondering what might be good tactics to manage the wildlife. The field is several hundred feet from the nearest road and totally out of site from the road and any neighboring houses. It is also several miles from my home farm, so I won't be out in the field every day. I'm hoping to spend at most a few hours a week in this field. The field is 10+ acres and part of a 100+ acre parcel which has been out of production for 15 + years and is slowly going back to woods. I will probably plant just an acre or two in corn and squash this year and begin working up the balance of the ground for planting in 2009. This is about the only available ground which is organically certifiable in my neighborhood, so I'm pretty determined to put together an effective wildlife management plan. Any suggestions?

  • [Market-farming] Bringing ground back into production, Fellenz, 01/31/2008