market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 60, Issue 30

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cory and Shanti Rade <whipstone AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 60, Issue 30
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 22:49:40 -0500

I have grown rapini in the past and it is not exactly the same as the "broccolini" I have seen in stores. However I do think that broccolini is a type of rapini.  I agree with David's thinking that broccolini is a licensed variety and seed is not available (because of a TM on the label I saw in the store).  However, I did find a new variety of rapini that I am trying this year, it is called "sweet baby broccoli" from Osborne Seeds in WA (www.osborneseeds.com). It is listed in the rapini section but the description says "similar to broccolini with a delicous sweet taste).  We really like growing rapini and customers do ask for it, but I would not at all put it in a flavor comparison with asparagus - it is a bit on the bitter side - but in a good way.  Maybe this new variety will be sweeter judging by the name. My one suggestion about this crop is to pinch it back when it initially starts to shoot, so you get a good quantity and quality of slender shoots (that's what the chefs like). Good luck.
Shanti

Whipstone Farm
21640 N. Juniper Ridge Rd.
Paulden, AZ 86334
email: whipstone AT aol.com
website: www.whipstone.com

I believe the primary variety is licensed and only grown by select large
farms which is why one does not see the seed around. Look to see a lot more
of this model.
David
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.
Z5

> Has anyone grown/heard of broccolini or Asparation? This is supposedly all
the rage
> on the West Coast. I can't find much info. about it. Looks like baby
broccoli, tastes like
> asparagus is about all I have learned so far.
> Carla
> Perkins, OK

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 60, Issue 30, Cory and Shanti Rade, 01/31/2008