market-farming - [Market-farming] WAS: Pre-emergents NOW: Pre-emergents, Mulch, and Compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] WAS: Pre-emergents NOW: Pre-emergents, Mulch, and Compost
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:25:25 -0600

Wow Carla! For a minute there I thought you were telling my story!! Sure would like to hear more about what you've tried and plan to do. Guess you saw my post about using cotton burrs for mulch and making compost out of piles of burrs to use later on. Trouble with uncomposted burrs is it's loaded with weed seed. To mulch, you need to put down a pre-emergent under it anyway. About the only benefit I see from burr mulch is warmer soil and moisture retention. If I compost the stuff, wonder how I should use it. Just put it on top of the soil and hope it works as a mulch without seeds? Plow it in? Do both? I'm not sure. What do you and others think?

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

----- Original Message ----- From: <cjmaness AT juno.com>