market-farming - [Market-farming] Storing Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Storing Potatoes
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:13:30 -0400

We have a root cellar for storing potatoes, and lately our system
hasn't been working as well as I think it used to. Can anyone help with
information about ideal potato curing and storing temperatures, and what
temperature range encourages sprouting?
We grow two crops a year (this is zone 7). One we plant in mid
March and harvest in July. The other we plant in mid June and harvest in
October. Our goal is to have a supply of potatoes year round. Ideally the
June planting is bigger than the March one, and supplies the potatoes for
Oct-July. Because of rotations, this can't usually work out in the ideal
ratios.
And so we use the March potatoes from July till maybe December, and then
start in on the October harvested ones. It's a challenge to prevent them
sprouting.
I have read that potatoes should be cured for 2 weeks at maybe
70F, before the temperature is reduced to store them. Well, in August it's
hard to reduce the cellar temperature far! I was happy with some early cool
nights in September, and used them to cool the cellar. Unfortunately, the
cellar then warmed up again. I think this caused them to sprout. Anyone
have the facts?
When we bring in the October harvest, it needs 70F for 2 weeks to
cure (doesn't it?), but the remaining July harvested ones don't want it that
warm. We've only got the one cellar, and no A/C. The potatoes are in crates,
but not palletized. The thought of curing the potatoes in one place, then
moving them to the cellar is rather daunting. What can anyone suggest?
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA

  • [Market-farming] Storing Potatoes, pam, 10/19/2006