market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Muclhing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Muclhing
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:33:38 -0400

I should say that our 'traditional mulch' of about 4inches of straw just plain out stops weeds until the garlic is harvested. Although advised to not leave the mulch on, I always do and have never had problems I attribute to mulch EXCEPT in thos situations where people have seriously overwatered the garlic. (my garlic) I can attest to the fact, also, that we can raise a crop of garlic without ever irrigating, but I usually feel compelled to irrigate when the weatehr is very dry. The problem happens if I leave the drip on and the mulched garlic gets watered as regularly as the greens do...

Allan wrote:

I'm wondering if it's a waste of time to mulch garlic with big bale
mulch hay. Works good on spuds, but with its solid stems I don't know
that it would insulate well enough for over wintering garlic.

I've been mulling over the whole mulching for freeze protection/
heaving thing for a year or so. We actually had some cloves fall on the ground beside our mulch last year - and they grew. Not big, mind you, but they did germinate.

I'll still mulch because I hate weeding.