market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mulching garlic was garlic rotation

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mulching garlic was garlic rotation
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:28:41 -0500 (CDT)

In the Delmarva area auctions straw is trading for $1.75-2.50 a bale. You
should be able to buy it out of the barn for that much or less. Just don't
wear your Harris Tweed farm clothing otherwise the price will go up... Those
horsey people are the new scourge of farm country.
You should rotate garlic to avoid a soil borne disease called white rot that
will buildup in your garden. Also watch for thrips that will over winter in
the garlic patch under the mulch they will destroy your garlic as temps warm
up...Bob.

Straw is up to $5+ a bale in these parts (Washington DC environs)
Blame it on the horses.

I'm wondering if it's a waste of time to mulch garlic with big bale
mulch hay. Works good on spuds, but with its solid stems I don't know
that it would insulate well enough for over wintering garlic.

And, what about this: fresh daily litter from horse stables. Probably
woodchip based, but with plenty of urine and bisquits (but not
loaded: really changed daily from small stalls) Too much carbon? Too
much nitrogen? I wonder how much of either by the time growth REALLY
starts for the garlic in the spring.

Thanks

-Allan