market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yellow striped cucumber beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrew R. King" <andrew.king2 AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yellow striped cucumber beetles
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:20:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
>From what I have read...and have been learning..when the soil is at it's
peak or pretty darn good happy, there are less bugs to be had. Ruth Stout
said it, Elliot Colmen has said it and I am willing to be that any other
totally organic gardner would agree. It all has to do with micronutrietnts
and soil levels that hinder or "bring on" the bad bugs. Just like with
weeds in your soil, they tell you what is good and what is bad with your
soil. Amending your soil, in my opionin, is the first and best organic way
you can "creat" a happy environment for all. It takes time, patience and
some money, but the end result is what we are all looking for.

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh

Courtney

Over the past 35 years we have not used herbicides or pesticides on our
land. For the first 30 years we used manure, green sand, rock phosphate and
lime as needed. For the past 5 years the only changes have been compost in
place of manure and we now add gypsum. Our soil seems to be in great shape
full of worms and organic matter but we still have bug problems. I have read
Coleman's books and heard him speak. Just because people who make money
selling books and promoting equipment put it on paper does not make it so.

Andy King
Sunflower King's Farm
Trumbauersville, PA