market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 39, Issue 24

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pat Jackowsky" <3littlepigsmkt AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 39, Issue 24
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:36:47 -0500

Same in MS, Toni. They will pay $2.99 lb for tomatoes with no taste and have sat in a warehouse for who knows how long. Yet, they expect ours to be 50 cents a pound. I'll never forget this man that would stop by often and complain about our prices and he could get them at the produce market for less. Caught me in the right mood one day and I told him to take his rear (not as nicely put) right on down there and buy them. From that day on, he would come in daily to buy veggies and became a very good friend. lol But, that is typically the mentality here, if they buy it direct from a farm then it should be cheap.
Pat

As with tomatoes in our area, the majority of folk do not care about how
i raise my produce - just that it sure better not be any more expensive
that a nearby conventional grower puts out! As more outsiders move in
(very, very slowly), there is interest in different foods and ways of
producing. It will be decades for true appreciation of "different"
efforts in Appalachian Kentucky!

Toni