market-farming - [Market-farming] buggy question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] buggy question
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:04:03 -0600

Can anyone identify this bad boy--sorry, no photo-from this description:

    The larvae, yellowish light green, 1/8" ish long live inside a spitty looking glob--dime size or smaller suspended around the stem of mostly fine foliage plants.  The adult is vivid green, also 1/8", resembles a smaller leaf hopper somewhat, flies, but not so quickly that I can't catch/smash a few.

I am finding these in achillea and lavender plants in the greenhouse.   I have been dunking the infested plants in a soap and water solution which instantly dissolves the spitty bit, leaving the larva exposed.  The damage on the plants also resembles hopper burn, but the insects are definitely smaller than leafhoppers.

Shawnee