market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organics Tirade

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organics Tirade
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:37:05 -0600

One point about propaganda or disinformation: it needs a certain amount of
facts to make it more believable. The article does that skillfully. One
point where they go off is in their claim that the same comparison will
hold true for 30 years. And they make that 30 years their lead in too. Yet
nothing up to that point gave any evidence that "conventional" farming,
with that specific crop rotation, will hold up that kind of production for
30 years. Or five years, for that matter. Another point I haven't seen
raised: the comparison involves only corn and wheat. Corn, esp in its
modern incarnation, is an extremely heavy feeder as we know. The wheat may
well be a modern hybrid requiring high chemical inputs to produce well. No
comparison of other crops whatsoever, for example heirloom varieties grown
both ways. Wouldn't that be interesting ...

The Hudson people have been on the corporate agribusiness payroll for a
long time, and they're well known for their reactionary politics and
lobbying agenda.

paul, tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OWL-OldWaysLiving

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry