market-farming - [Market-farming] The care of the earth

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: lauren cathcart <ltlfarmaz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] The care of the earth
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

Paul-
Wendell Berry is a favorite author of mine and in one of his many books he writes about how we should farm using what is available naturally- no flood irrigation or pumping of ground water. (guilty here...)  I live in central Arizona and no way is land cheap (acre lots across the street from me are selling for $365,000) and less than 10 miles away in Pinal county there are great fissures opening up from groundwater pumping.  The fissures may be the only thing that keeps them from planting more houses where crops used to grow.
Almost daily I get a note from one of my shareholders thanking me for what I do.  I want to keep growing local vegetables for them but maybe the cost is too great.
Lauren

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and
after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it
and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
   - Wendell Berry

  • [Market-farming] The care of the earth, lauren cathcart, 10/20/2005