market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] No frost, hard freeze

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] No frost, hard freeze
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:37:04 -0400

We are desperately seeking a hard freeze to kill off everyone's flower gardens and put an end to summer  so they will buy are garden mums which presently are being thrown in the compost pile as they bloom out. At $10 a pop that hurts... and cool weather will get folks in the fall spirit and buy pumpkins and halloween decorations.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

SaladG AT aol.com wrote:

 Well, it didn't stop at a frost this morning but we had a good hard freeze.  Didn't catch the temp but we have Ice on all the tractor seats and on the windshields.   This old river bottom usually get it pretty early every year but usually doesn't freeze in mid May like it did this year, making a short growing season this year. Phil