market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Someone talk to me about "Yard Long" beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Someone talk to me about "Yard Long" beans
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:04:24 -0500

Willie - I used to bundle and tie my yard-logs with raffia - 1/2# bunches
for $3 and they sold well. And they are really fun to see in bunches like
that. I grow too many now to take the time to bunch them so I just heap
them in a half-bushel basket and tell customers to leave them whole, steam
them, and serve them whole - I point out that they are fun to eat with
fingers, dipped into a horseradish sauce, and don't need a lot a prepping.
This usually encourages a sale. I sell them for $4 a pound.

I can hardly sell pole beans anymore because out customers say they don't
have time to snap them!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas