market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Cutworms?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Cutworms?
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:05:21 -0400

If they are variegated Cutworms the BT will work because they eat the
leaves. If they are the stem munching type good luck to you. I
understood that the moths lay into sod in the fall and have observed
that they do gravitate towards land that was in sod. Either way it will
be a little while before the grubs emerge to do the damage by which
time your existing plantings should be beyond the stage when the worms
can do them in. I would suggest avoiding planting into land that has not
been out of sod for a year. Both types are night feeders so get the
flashlight out if you want to see them at work.
Best of luck.

David A. Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.
Massachusetts