market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] specality eggplant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] specality eggplant
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:10:39 -0400

On Apr 30, 2005, at 4:53 PM, logrock wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>Black Bell sounds more like it to me:</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>-----Original Message-----</x-tad-bigger>

<x-tad-bigger>Hello,  At Farmers Market this morning I was asked by a woman from India that I grow a small round black eggplant.  I came home and went through all the seed catalogs but could not find one.  Does anyone know of one and where to get seed?  Thanks.</x-tad-bigger>

Black Bell is a standard type (the dark oval eggplant most commonly seen in stores, usually best at about a pound to a pound and a half size). Although Black Bell is also delicious picked much smaller than that, it sounds as if the customer wanted something else.

Black Bell has done well for me, as a standard eggplant. I grow a number of others, but nothing matching Tom's customer's description, so hesitate to recommend on that. The suggestion to bring her some pictures of available varieties and ask her to pick sounds like a great one to me.