market-farming - [Market-farming] The weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] The weather
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:23:16 -0500

Whatever past weather has occurred, and whatever future weather will come to
us, I am grateful this morning for warm sun. It has been quite a few
mornings, and my toddler plants have been slowly growing, with short forays
into the cloudy and cold outside.

Two weeks ago it was very warm one afternoon, and I took my tomato plants
outside. They had sprouted nicely around the edges of the tray - but the
middle cells were empty aboveground.

Two days after that exposure to heat, the middle cells started popping with
infant tomatoes.

Today, the peppers, tomatillos, garden huckleberries, cabbages, onions,
tomatoes, cauliflowers, kale, and kolrhabis are all out on the steps,
basking in warmth and sun.

And my husband and I are off to work in the garden for a bit. It has been a
long time since we have worked together in the garden - so I am very
grateful for that as well.

Jill Bussiere, Wisconsin, zone 5/4