market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cheddar cauliflower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cheddar cauliflower
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:55:56 -0500

Courtney,

Be sure and check the maturity dates on the orange, purple, and white
cauliflowers. I started cheddar and an Italian purple variety (Sicilia
Violetto) last year at the same time with the idea that I would have two
colors on the table at the same time. The purple one didn't get ready until
the orange one was about finished. Checking maturity dates I found that
Ceheddar (58 days) and Graffiti and Sicilia Violetto (80 days) are nearly a
month apart. I will take that into consideration this year when I plant the
seed. By the way, while I'm thinking about it, has anyone tried Sicilia
Violetta and been happy with it? It disappointed me a little last year and
I resisted the urge to order Graffiti because I hated to throw the other
seed away. Description wise S Violetto appears to be similar to Johnney's
Violet Queen though Violet Qween appears to be early enough at 54 days to
coincide nicely with Cheddar. S Violetto strings out the harvest from 65
to 80 days which was probably the reason I chose it, not to mention that I
was also swayed by the $2.50 for a large packet that you get from Bill
McKay's source.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia

Thanks for the info on the Cheddar cauliflower! I am very excited to try it
this year from what you guys wrote! I am also growing Graffiti and the
regular white. So I think that my table will look real pretty with purple,
orange and white cauliflower. Along with all the other pretty colors I will
have, I hope! Providing that Mom Nature plays along with me!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh