market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Doyle Blackberry Variety

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jackie Fisher" <splltrss AT scrtc.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Doyle Blackberry Variety
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:29:31 -0600

> From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
> I ran across this blackberry and it sounds too good to be true. Below is
> what they say about it. I'm not trying sell the Doyle variety, I'd just
> like to know if any of you have ever heard of it or have tried it.
> Thanks
> (West Texas) Mark

We got 12 plants two years ago, the first year they don't produce, they just
grow canes that produce fruit the second year here in zone 6A/new zone 7? in
Kentucky. This year was the first for fruiting, and of the 11 that survived
only 8 produced well, we had several gallons every 2 weeks over about a two
month cycle, maybe longer cause it sure seemed like we had some berries
months and months. We did use wormcastings and mychorrizae? stuff when they
were planted, only organic here. And we had a soaker hose buried under mulch
for them. I can also say they were the biggest berries I had seen before and
were very good tasting, but since we hadn't planted any other varieties I
can't compare sizes or flavor. Unfortunately they are very, very expensive
and until I see that they are doing better each year over the preceding one
I am not going to buy any more. I am going to try some other thornless
variety for comparison.

Many Blessings to your flocks!

Jackie Fisher
A Different Drummer Farm
South Central Kentucky, zone 6A/new zone 7?
270-432-0970

"Be good to the land and it will be good to you"

  • [Market-farming] Re: Doyle Blackberry Variety, Jackie Fisher, 02/28/2005