market-farming - [Market-farming] Arizona

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Arizona
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:51:01 -0600

Hi Marie,
My son is in Sierra Vista and we visited this summer. It is fairly scrub desert terrain. It is possible to grow a lot of crops - with irrigation... The extreme hours of sunlight are fabulous for growing. There are some of the world's largest tomato growing operations in Arizona. Cotton is also grown in the area with large fields set up for irrigation by flooding. The whole concept of "water rights" is one that is foreign to me and probably something you have to look into. As Matt tells you, wind is also a concern, so "controlled environment agriculture" makes a lot of sense.

The University of Arizona in Tucson about an hour north of Sierra Vista has a serious hydroponic research installation and there is a Tucson hydroponic growers group organized in the community as well. The U of A is doing a 3 day workshop on hydroponics in January. It may be a great way to get started and make excellent contacts in growing issues in that area. To check it out go to http://ag.arizona.edu/ceac/, tell Dr. Giacomelli I sent you :>)

Speaking of growing things in the desert: I wonder if it's possible to
garden in the area of Sierra Vista, Arizona? It's southeast of Tucson,
not far from the border. I understand it is up in the mountains so it's
not so hot. I suppose I could check with their county officials, but
wanted to ask here first.

Adriana

  • [Market-farming] Arizona, Adriana, 11/27/2004