market-farming - [Market-farming] Sliding scale for elderly poor? was Making a living

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Sliding scale for elderly poor? was Making a living
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:12:32 -0700

I am here in the NW also. I have lived a lot of places but the economy is really in bad shape here. I was just given 12 young laying hens and a lovely Holstein milk cow because the owners cannot buy feed for them.
I have been lurking on this list while getting my ducks in a row. I gave some extra beets to a neighbor and she mentioned them to a group of elderly ladies. It appears that I may have created my own market. The ladies are all vegetarians and would love to have fresh local produce. I am looking at expanding my garden and doing a CSA type of marketing with them. They are all on a fixed income. Does anyone charge on a sliding scale?
They are part of a church that is vegetarian leaning so I think it could develop into a bigger group.

I do not think there is any kind of a CSA here so I would not be competing with some one who has to make a living by selling. We have a very successful roadside stand that caters to tourists and the farmers markets 30 miles away
TIA
Margaret SW Oregon.

At 04:43 PM 08/30/2003, you wrote:
>Don't pity your customers. I understand the not
> wanting to gouge people or take advantage of them, but you have to make a
> living. Why not do it?? especially when you say "I probably could..."
>
> Liz Pike
> Don't know what your economy is like...but here in the Northwest money
has always been tight and these days I see all kinds of folk coming in
to the market with scraped together change just to come up with a few
bucks for bread and eggs. Sure I have to make a living, and I'm just
barely getting by, but in reality, I always have food and get to live in
Paradise.
I have some items I sell cheap, things that go to mostly locals. I know
I'm not making much on these things...but, in our tiny community...it has
brought in a devoted following who in turn bring in all their friends and
visiting relatives. Items that are attractive to tourists...I price at
normal US levels...these are the things that pay my bills.....
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics