market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New farming buzz: wild bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New farming buzz: wild bees
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:53:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/2003 8:53:22 AM Central Daylight Time, liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com writes:

Some bee experts say that could be about to change. The number of
honeybee colonies in the United States is down by almost two-thirds
over a 50-year period. Two species of bloodsucking mites are chewing
their way through honeybee colonies nationwide, wreaking havoc on the
way. Chinese competition is driving down the price of honey.

My beekeeper told me that the Chinese honey imports have been discovered to contain foreign substance, some kind of med to kill the mites, and we have stopped importing it.  He also said that the honey coming up from Mexico contains Terramycin (an antibiotic).  Burleson and Sue Bee were both buying these imported honeys.  We get honey from our beekeepers and sell that honey at about the price of burleson to our customers, who are thrilled.
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas