market-farming - [Market-farming] watermelon

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] watermelon
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:24:17 -0400

Hello --

This is =our first good year with watermelon, we are growing jade star, an
ice box melon.

Question: The vines are dying. We have had okay rain and watering
in-between. The plants are on black plastic and the summer has not been hot
as usual. I have not seen any vine bore in the vines, the leaves do not
show a lot of holes, and the cuke beetles are not extreme. It is possible
that I did not pick off the riper melons earlier enough. Will not picking
off the early ones shut down the vines as with cukes/squash? Thanks in
advance for any comments.

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawba Island, Ohio