market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Painting rust

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Painting rust
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:02:03 -0400

The first thing is to stop further rusting. You can do it 1 of 2 ways:

1. A product that chemically changes the oxidizing iron so the rusting
stops.
2. Zinc oxide primer.

Both require wire brushing and/or sanding before application. The zinc
oxide requires 2 coats with sanding in between. Both need a sealing top
coat.

My suggestion is to go to a paint store (not a discount house) where the
sales people know what they're talking about (I use Porter). They can
help you way the cost benefits of each method.

--
Alex McGregor
Walden Farm