market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: Garlic Question
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:32:46 -0500

We have found that leaving whole bulbs in the ground over winter,
instead of harvesting them at the usual time, provides for the easiest
greens in the Spring. We harvest until the bulbils stem forms then keep
any that are left for harvesting bulbils. If you vary the mulch depth it
will stagger the harvest somewhat.
We are a C.S.A. so I don't work these things out but I was told that if
they were sold at market the bulb greens would be more profitable than
selling bulbs. We just eat 'em!

This method does mean the bed is not available for replanting with
another crop in the Fall; but with the bulbs safely underground it is
easy to keep the bed weed free.
David Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.