market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Canned Thanksgiving (was Mushrooms)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Canned Thanksgiving (was Mushrooms)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:37:18 -0500

I hear ya Del,

And to think That thanksgiving is one of the few meals that could be
totally fresh, local and seasonal (not to mention native, for the most
part).

I think Thanksgiving should be the poster meal for the Slow Food Movement.

It saddens me that the US population considers Lean CuisineĀ™ an
acceptable food and a "cuisine" to boot. Cuisine means basically local
food-dishes that are unique to the local area. Something Lean CuisineĀ™
is not in any way, shape or form. Around here, Cincinnati Chili would be
cuisine (even though I won't touch the stuff) It is very unlike real
chili which would be Southwestern Cuisine. Amish cuisine would include
dumplings among other things. We like to think of Cuisine as being
something fancy and unattainable (and French) when in fact every
locality in the world usually has a cuisine, though less and less in the
US, because cuisine=local food.

I am happy that I have CSA members that will use some of their share in
their feasts. I actually sold some chickens this year as turkey
replacements. I sent out an email ad suggesting that those who dislike
turkey consider a pastured chickens and a few did.

If more people would get over their fear of cooking and would learn to
cook with fresh and local foods we would all have better business late
in the year. Thanksgiving should be a big time of the year for us market
growers but since most consumers think we go away with labor day and
than nothing grows after school starts it is an uphill battle.

<snip>

> As we go into the biggest cooking holiday of the year... I think of the
> 'feasts' I've endured. Those disgusting green beans with Campbell's
> mushroom soup and canned fried onions on top. Sweet potatoes smothered in
> marshmallows. As if a sweet potato is actually improved that way. Instant
> mashed potatoes with canned gravy. Stove top dressing and a Butterball
> turkey. Biscuits out of a can.

> <snip>

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)