market-farming - squash bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: squash bugs
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:20:56 -0700

Hmmm, according to studies by Rodale Institute and others (Elliot Coleman) - insects such as squash bugs indicate that our farm/garden system is "out of balance" and are merely (hah!) a symptom, not the real issue (in the long run) - once soil food web is vigorous and soil properly amended, disease/insect pressure is much less.  Plus keep up beneficial plantings, etc.

Have those of you who have been at this a long time find this to be true?  Is is true even in the south (where we have say, seven, generations of squash bugs, compared to a few generations in Mass.)

Save this question for a stormy, cold winter night!  Too much fungus to deal with now, eh!  thanks
nan
dancing goats farm
n. mississippi zone 7