market-farming - RE: Hoophouses VS Snow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: Hoophouses VS Snow
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:53:03 -0500

Lucy the broom method is universal, the trouble comes when there is no room
left at the base of the house for additional snow, I have to plow between
houses with a bucket loader which is most unplesant, many guys around here
use tractor mounted airblast sprayers to blow the snow off.

In my county there are thousands of hoop houses and we have learned from
experence that using a minimum of 1/2" galvanised plumbing pipe, hoops no
wider than 14 feet spaced no more than 4 ft. will hold more than one foot of
snow and hoops spaced 3 ft will hold up to 2 ft of snow, these houses cost
just under $1000 to build at 96 ft long but if you are serious about winter
farming and I know Lucy is, and not just playing at it like most folks than a
$1000 investment is well spent...Here comes the Sun...

Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton NJ.

>What do you do about your hoophouses/polytunnels during snow season?

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/