market-farming - cotton gin trash - to use or not to use?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: cotton gin trash - to use or not to use?
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:07:25 -0500

Howdy.....I don't quite trust our local extension agent's answer, that cotton gin trash is FINE to use since pesticides are ALL GONE once it gets burned and/or composted....

Anyone know of any research on gin trash......though I know it won't be allowed under organic certification (at least I assume so) I am wondering about its use for those growers who aren't totally organic but want to use local resources and get away from commercial fertilizers.....is the amount of pesticide residue negligible?   Or is it really serious.  Does it decrease with time spent decomposing on the ground before spreading?

My extension folks tell me that current cotton pesticides are so much less persistent than the ones used a decade ago that no one except purists need worry any longer.

The gin trash in question is stuff that has been around for along time and is black.  It is abundant and free around here.  I work with big farmers seeking to get more sustainable and switch from cotton to vegetables.

Thanks for any pointers.

nan j.
dancing goats farm
zone 7b

  • cotton gin trash - to use or not to use?, nan and stewart, 04/28/2001